Like my 2021 list, I rounded out the number of films I saw in 2022 at about 70 films. Unlike 2021 (or the last few years, for that matter), this year is not a top 20.
I’ve always been vocal in saying there are no bad movie years, but 2022 was a tad dull when compared to the likes of 2021 (and certainly to the juggernaut that was the 2019 movie year).
This also could factor into something that hasn’t happened to me in sometime: I did not get to rewatch any movies on my list (save one). That is more on me than the movies themselves (I did watch some more TV this past year than previously, and while not a movie, I can’t stop praising the amazing Andor.)
As always, I had my share of blindspots, so movies you won’t see on here include:
- All the Beauty and the Bloodshed
- The Black Phone
- A Man Called Otto
- No Bears
- Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
Finally, the honorable mentions
- Ambulance (a movie I finally caught up with and may be Michael Bay’s best film since The Rock).
- Armageddon Time
- Avatar: The Way of Water
- The Bad Guys
- The Batman
- The Fabelmans
- Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
- Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
- The Menu
- Roald Dahl’s Matilda the Musical (one of the years most surprising charmers)
- She Said
- Triangle of Sadness
- The Woman King
Now for the top ten, which begins on the frontlines.